How do I request tree trimming, tree removal, or tree replacement?

Trees on Private Property

There are two types of tree-cutting permits required by the City of Mill Valley: one for trees on city property and one for trees on private property. The Department of Planning and Building oversees those on private property.

The City of Mill Valley's Planning Department requires a permit to remove four or more (non-Heritage) trees on a developed site per year. The City requires a permit to remove any Heritage tree. In addition, no tree may be removed from a vacant site without a permit. There are certain exceptions to the permit requirements based on tree size, emergencies, and vegetative management.

The Supplemental Application Form for Tree Removal Permit provides the application requirements (submit with the Planning Application Form). The current fee for a Tree Removal Permit is $775 for a Heritage Tree. For 4 or more non-Heritage Trees on a developed lot or a Heritage Oak Tree with Sudden Oak Death, the fee is $76 per tree. Please allow up to 30 days for the process and approval of these tree permits.

For more information regarding Private tree trimming or removals call Planning Department at 415-388-4033.

Trees on City Property

The Department of Public Works, Parks Supervisor oversees the application process for pruning and removal of trees on city property. A permit is required to trim, brace or alter or remove any tree on city property. The current permit fee to trim, brace or alter trees is $25. The current permit fee to remove a tree under 20" in diameter is $25 per tree and for trees over 20 inches in diameter is $100 per tree. Fees are due at the time of the permit request. An Application for Pruning and Removal of City Trees, along with fee payment, must be turned into the Parks Department for processing prior to any work on city trees.

For more information regarding City tree trimming or removals call the Department of Public Works at 415-388-4033

Show All Answers

1. Why don’t you schedule overnight work for construction at busy intersections?
2. Can we widen East Blithedale?
3. How do I find out when my street will be paved?
4. Who keeps the trees trimmed?
5. When does an obstruction in the road become a road closure?
6. Am I allowed to close a road?
7. What does Public Works look for in fence design?
8. Is there a policy regarding block parties or special events?
9. I am having trouble finding space to keep the three garbage cans we are required to have. Can I keep them out near the road?
10. There is a parking space in front of my house that is off the paved roadway. Is this my private parking space or is it public?
11. Who keeps shrubbery off sidewalks?
12. I was told my house was on a B street. What does this mean?
13. What types of factors affect drainage at my property?
14. Do I need permits or other drainage approval to develop my property?
15. Do minor drainage modifications at my property require regulatory approvals?
16. Should I take steps to protect my property from surface flows and flooding?
17. Can I run drain lines from my property to a City street?
18. There is a sewer backup in my house. What should I do?
19. There is sewage bubbling out of the ground or street. What should I do?
20. How much of my sewer lateral am I responsible to maintain?
21. I am thinking of adding a second unit to my house and was told I need to obtain a Sewer Connection Permit. Since my house is already connected to the sewer, do I need to do this?
22. If I have a project to expand or remodel my house, will I need to replace the sewer line?
23. Can I tie into my neighbor’s sewer lateral, or do they have the right to be using mine?
24. I have been reading about the sewage treatment plant being overwhelmed during heavy rainstorms. I thought sewers were separate from storm drains. How can this happen and is there anything I can do?
25. Are there restrictions on when I may work on my property?
26. My house is being remodeled. Can I use the right-of-way for storing equipment and materials?
27. Can I reserve the parking spaces in front of my house for people working on my house?
28. Am I allowed build my new garage in the right-of-way?
29. Do you have typical development conditions?
30. My mailing address is in Mill Valley but I live in Strawberry/Homestead Valley, Muir Woods Park, Tam Valley etc. How do I know which agency provides services?
31. How do I find out when my street will be paved? How do I request that my street be paved?
32. How do I rent a debris box?
33. How can I report dumping of hazardous materials in creeks or in gutters?
34. How do I report a missing, damaged, or fallen stop sign?
35. How do I report a fallen tree?
36. My neighbor's construction project is making a lot of noise - what is allowed?
37. Am I allowed to build a fence in the right-of-way?
38. I have noticed a streetlight on my street is not working properly. How can I get it fixed?
39. Can I direct drainage away from my property and onto my neighbor’s property?
40. How do I request tree trimming, tree removal, or tree replacement?
41. How do I report a pot hole or damaged street?